DEPARTMENT OF HOUSING AND COMMUNITY SERVICES
To provide housing products and services to stakeholders as well as management of Council estates.
Departmental Core Functions
Departmental Core Functions
Provision of housing services.
Provision of primary education and library services.
Provision and management of burial services.
Provision and management of informal sector.
Provision of sports and recreational facilities.
ABOUT HOUSING DEPARTMENT
The Department is headed by the Director Housing located at 6004 Tilcor Road, Zengeza 4, Chitungwiza. The Department of Housing and Community Services encompasses the Housing, Social Amenities, Welfare and Education. The Department’s mandate is to provide accommodation, manage the Housing waiting list and strategy formulation and implementation.The Department is key in the comprehensive land delivery process as it generates demand for stands through the waiting list. It also forms basis of the Estates account which funds major projects like stand servicing, management of leases up to land transfer.
The Department also processes cessions in line with housing policy.
The Department is composed of the following seven sections:-
- Seke North District Office
- Seke South District Office
- St Mary’s District Office
- Zengeza District Office
- Communities and Welfare
- Parks and social amenities.
TERMS OF REFERENCE
In realizing its mandate the Department is governed by the following statutes and policies:-
- Constitution of Zimbabwe
- Burial and Cremation Act
- Deceased Estates Succession Act (Chapter 6:02)
- Deeds Registries Act (Chapter 20:05)
- Environmental Management Act (Chapter 20:27)
- Housing Standards Control (Chapter 29:08)
- Housing and Building Act (Chapter 22:07)
- Public Health Act
- Public Procurement and Disposal of Public Assets Act
- Public Finance Management Act (Chapter 22:19)
- Public Debt Management Act
- Private Voluntary Organization Act
- Public Entities and Corporate Governance Act
- Urban Council Act (Chapter 29:15)
- Urban Area(Omnibus Services) Act (Chapter 29:14)
- Regional, Town and Country Planning Act (Chapter 29:12)
- Traditional Beer Act.
- Water Act (Chapter 20:24)
- Council By-laws
- Management of Urban Stateland Manual
- National Housing Policy
- National Water Policy
- Ministerial Circulars and Directives e.g. Moratorium on Land.
- Council Housing Policy
Community Services and Welfare Section
This section covers the provision of public utilities, sports and recreational facilities. It also manages the use, maintenance and repairs of the public facilities. These utilities include Halls, Libraries, Schools, Stadiums, Sporting or Playgrounds and Parks. The Section deals with community interface and the general welfare of the public. The Section works with policy makers in identifying vulnerable groups or individuals and maintain a record of such in case of external intervention and assistance from the Government.
There are three welfare Centre’s namely:
- Zengeza 1 Welfare Centre
- Zengeza 3 Welfare Centre
- Seke North Welfare Centre
And two halls namely:
- Unit L Community Hall
- St Mary’s Community Hall
There are nine Council Schools as listed below
|Secondary and High Schools||10||–||18|
There are three libraries namely:-
- Unit F library
- Zengeza library
- St Marys library
Libraries: Hours of business
|During the week||0800 am – 1500pm|
No extra fee is charged during holidays
There are 6 sports fields namely:
- Seke south play ground
- Zengeza 2 play ground
- Macheka play ground
- Zengeza 3 playground
- Unit O play ground
- Zengeza 4 play ground
FUNCTIONS OF DIVISIONS
There are two Acting Parks Superintendents named Kawisi Walter and Mrs Wadzanayi Dube who are responsible for all amenities functions in
Parks and Amenities
We have five recreational sites located in our four district offices. The sites are not in good conditions due to lack of adequate water.
We have two cemeteries the one in Unit ‘L’ which is no longer functional and the new cemetery located in Nyatsime area.
There are two cemeteries namely:-
- Unit L cemetery which is no longer functional
- Nyatsime cemetery which is currently in use
- Burial Charges Table as at 24 January 2020
All Council services are now decentralized at Administration District level namely Seke North, Zengeza, Seke South and St Marys.